I am constantly being asked questions and advice on the best approach to new product design. Many people are daunted by the costs, pressures and lack of knowledge in this area. We came across this guide from Product Design Hub that we would thoroughly recommend to anyone looking to get involved in product development, whether its your first time or if you’re a seasoned designer.
The following points are essential to know before you begin:
1. Who will buy your product?
2. How many potential customers are there?
3. Who will you be competing with?
4. What will make your product the best choice?
5. Can your product idea be protected?
6. Which standards will your product need to meet?
7. How will your product be manufactured and sold?
8. How much will all this cost?
9. How will you pay for it?
10. Do you have a plan?
Here is a brief summary of the guide, but for the full guide please follow this link.